Final Pasteur Medal Contest at 7.30

The final contest for the Pasteur Medal will be held in New Lecture Hall this evening at 7.30 o'clock, and will be open to the public. The subject will be the "Policy of the French Government in Morocco." The following men, retained at the preliminary contest, will speak in the order named: R. H. Smith '10, G. L. Harding '10, F. Stern '12, H. T. Viets '09, C. S. Collier '11, J. C. Bills '09 and J. W. Finkel '11. Each man will speak for twelve minutes and may use notes, but not read his speech.

The judges will be M. L. Allard, chosen by the French Department; Professor I. L. Winter, by the Department of Public Speaking; the Marquis de Bouthillier-Chavigny, by the Cercle Francais; and Professors G. P. Baker '87 and R. M. Johnston '95, by the Debating Council.

The Pasteur Medal was instituted in 1898 by Baron de Coubertin, to be awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject chosen from contemporary French politics, the debate to be conducted in English. The administration of the prize is in the hands of the French Department, and one of the judges is always its official representative.

This year the University Debating Council with the authorization of the French Department has instituted material changes in the conditions of award. Instead of having a debate between two teams of three men each, as in former years, a plan which proved unsatisfactory, the contestants will speak on any phase of the subject, treating it as they wish. In awarding the medal the judges will consider not only the presentation but also the general knowledge, delivery and style of the speakers. The original intention had been to retain six men at the preliminary trials, but the contestants were so closely matched that seven were retained.