HARVARD CLUB DINNER

Speakers Vied in Praise of Pres. Eliot's Aims and Achievements.

The Harvard Club of Boston held its first annual dinner at the Hotel Somerset last evening. The number of guests present was greater than that at either of the dinners to the victorious teams. Great appreciation and regard for President Eliot were shown by all the speakers as well as by the audience. Major Henry Lee Higginson '55 presided and introduced the speakers. In a short address, before presenting Governor E. S. Draper, the first speaker, he complimented the younger alumni on displaying more wisdom than their seniors by founding the Boston Harvard Club.

President W. H. P. Faunce of Brown, the second speaker of the evening, paid glowing tribute to President Eliot for his influence upon all the colleges of New England. President Eliot has maintained a dignity which is seldom found, and has had the courage to submit his most advanced theories to the test of practice.

Professor J. C. Gray '59, as he termed himself, "the oldest in commission of President Eliot's appointees," described Harvard in his undergraduate days, contrasting it with its present condition as a testimonial to the President's greatness. W. Lawrence '71, Bishop of Massachusetts, told of President Eliot's inaugural address, which he heard as an undergraduate, and of the manner in which the plans and policies then voiced have been carried out. M. D. Follansbee '92 spoke for the Harvard Club of Chicago, naming the President's visits as the most important events of its history. Dean LeBaron Russell Briggs '75 compared the retiring with the incoming President, ascribing to both belief in unselfish liberty and devotion to the right as they see it.

Professor A. Lawrence Lowell '77 described President Eliot from the point of view of a member of the Faculty. It has been thought by many that the President ruled the Faculty with a heavy hand. This is not the case. As soon as an instructor fails to give satisfaction he must go, but as long as his work is up to the standard he may teach as he pleases. He tolerates everybody's views, though they differ widely from his own. We can measure what has been accomplished during President Eliot's administration by comparing the position of the University in the community at its beginning and end. In no country do the universities hold so influential a position as in America, and this influence will play a greater part in the future than the past. Harvard is now a national university with graduates in every state of the Union. In closing, Professor Lowell expressed the hope that when President Eliot leaves the University there will remain with us a double measure of his spirit.

President Eliot in the final speech of the evening, told of the privileges enjoyed by the President of Harvard. He has received with much pleasure during the last two months numberless testimonials of his work and helpfulness, and whatever may happen he is content with the experiences of his life, its attain- ments, its opportunities. The greatest privilege, however, comes in the opportunities of association with other men, especially with the undergraduates and their parents. There has been a change in Harvard's position in the last twenty years, and now no foreigner of note comes to America without visiting the University. One of the best conditions under which the President must work is the constantly recurring opportunity of moral advancement in judging conduct and sentiment with justice. There is also a vast opportunity for developing the gentler characteristics. In a community of the size of Harvard there is always something sad or piteous taking place, which the President can do much in relieving. The Presidency of Harvard is a happy and privileged position in which to work, and its incumbent cannot help growing and broadening in the exercise of his duties. Harvard is now a highly organized and comprehensive organization, preparing men for all professions as well as for business, deserving the name of University more than ever before.

The most promising development during the last decade has been the increased interest and support of the graduates; they will be needed in the near future. The growth of the University is threatened, and with decreased enrolment their financial support may be necessary to maintain the standards of scholarship. President Eliot in closing congratulated his successor on "the sure growth of the influence of the University throughout the land, not only to foster art, literature and science, but also free institutions in which will lie the power and strength of our country.