FRESHMAN RESPONSIBILITIES

The Phillips Brooks House reception to Freshmen is primarily a social gathering intended to bring new men into pleasant contact with members of their own and other classes. Secondarily it is planned with the idea of bringing before new-comers a comprehensive view of extra-academic interests. The men who will speak are thoroughly representative of the different phases of official and undergraduate life, and they will describe activities in which members of the entering class must sooner or later take part.

It is not too early, we believe, to attempt to impress the members of 1913 with the importance and value of these things. Phillips Brooks House itself is a centre of philanthropic, religious and social interests which should commend themselves to many students in the University. To make its enterprises successful it needs a large number of enthusiastic and persistent workers from every department. In athletics the new class has the enviable record of 1912, with its four victorious teams, to follow. Undergraduate papers and magazines, musical and dramatic organizations, debating clubs,--all these offer unequalled opportunities for the use and development of special talents. Freshmen cannot enter too early or in too large numbers into the "outside" branches of Harvard life.