Review of Yale Season

Yale opened her playing season on September 29 by defeating Wesleyan 11 to 0. The contest was characterized by the loose, disjointed play common to early season games. Philbin played full-back in the absence of Captain Coy and scored both touchdowns. On the following Saturday, Yale won a spectacular victory over Syracuse, the final score being 15 to 0. In this game a marked improvement over the form displayed in the Wesleyan game was noticeable. A successful forward pass, Howe to Vaughan was the feature of the game. The final mid-week game against Holy Cross was disappointing, owing in part to hot weather. Poor football characterized the game, which Yale won by the score of 12 to 0. By consistently smooth and machine-like play, Yale rolled up a total of 36 points against the Springfield Training School. Howe ran the team well, using excellent judgment at critical points.

On October 16, Yale scored 17 points to West Point's 0 in one of the most brilliant contests ever played at West Point. The score at the end of the first half was 0 to 0, but in the second period Yale scored three times. Two of these scores were made on beautiful forward passes from Coy and Howe, respectively, to Vaughan. Howe again showed excellent head-work and Philbin made several sensational runs.

In the next game, Colgate was defeated in a game replete with spectacular plays, by 36 to 0. In this game Coy kicked two field goals from the 35 and 45-yard lines, respectively, and Philbin made two long runs for touchdowns.

On October 30, Yale defeated Amherst in a fast, but one-sided game by the score of 34 to 0. Play was marred by frequent fumbling by both sides.

The long period of preliminary work in preparation for the final games was brought to an end by the defeat of Brown by the score of 23 to 0. The large score was a surprise, but it was due not so much to any unusual weakness in the visiting eleven as to the power and speed of the Yale backfield. The individual playing of the Yale line was remarkable and often brilliant, but lacked unity. Philbin, in the latter part of the second half, caught a punt on his own 35-yard line, and, with tremendous speed, dodged through the whole Brown team and ran 75 yards for a touchdown.

On last Saturday, Yale defeated the Princeton eleven by the score of 17 to 0. The Yale team gave promise of tremendous strength but failed to exhibit all the power which they possessed. The men were not well together and the backs did not help each other as they should have. The main features of the game were the work of Philbin and Murphy in running back kicks, and the line smashing of Coy.

Criticism of Players.

Yale is fortunate in having a number of good ends, although of these Logan and Vaughan are incapacitated on account of injuries. Kilpatrick is a fast, heavy man, and is excellent on defence. The regular tackles, Hobbs and Lilley, are both experienced men and hard and sure tacklers. Andrus and Goebel, the guards, are also experienced players and are dangerous men both on account of their weight and their ability. Cooney, at centre, is a good passer, but his weight makes him slow. Howe, the final choice for quarterback, has shown good judgment in his choice of plays all through the season. His playing, however, has been marred by fumbling and inability to handle the ball accurately on punts. The Yale backfield is undoubtedly one of the best in the country. The men are all fast and powerful runners, hit the line with terrific force, and, when once started are hard to stop. Coy is a remarkable kicker, as he can punt, drop-kick and kick from placement equally well.