CHESS TEAMS TO PLAY TODAY

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia Commence Contests in New York.

The eighteenth annual intercollegiate four-board chess tournament between Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia commences this afternoon and will continue tomorrow and Friday, at the rooms of the West Side Republican Club in New York. The team left Cambridge yesterday afternoon. The play takes place between the hours of 1 and 6 in the afternoon, and 8 and 10 in the evening on the days of the tournament. The games will be played at a time-limit of fifteen moves an hour, and all games unfinished by 10 o'clock will be adjudicated by the referee.

The intercollegiate cup, presented to the league by E. A. Caswell, will be held one year by the winning team. In order to gain permanent possession of it, however, a team must win it for ten successive years. Of the seventeen tournaments held so far, nine have been won by Harvard, six by Columbia, and one each by Yale and Princeton. As Princeton's victory last year was her first, the chances of any one team gaining permanent possession of the cup are yet far off. Medals will be awarded the winning team from a die provided for the purpose by A. C. White '02.

The prospects of victory favor Princeton, as no change has been made in her victorious team of last year. Yale has three veterans on her team and Columbia two.

Members of the Teams.

The names of the men on the teams in the order in which they will play follow:

Harvard--C. S. Hadley 1L., W. M. P. Mitchell '3L., F. P. Byerly '11, D. B. Priest '10.

Yale--T. R. Chandler '11, G. Burgess '11, C. F. Jefferson '10, G. F. Parsons '10.

Princeton--L. W. Stephens '11, J. W. Alexander, Jr., '10, J. L. Tiemann '10, H. R. Ferger '10.

Columbia--C. H. Ramsdell '10, J. B. Beadle '12S., E. L. Gluck '12, S. H. Childs '11.

The schedule of playing follows:

Wednesday, December 22--Harvard vs. Columbia, Yale vs. Princeton.

Thursday, December 23--Harvard vs. Princeton, Yale vs. Columbia.

Friday, December 24--Harvard vs. Yale, Princeton vs. Columbia.

The drawings follow:

Wednesday--Hadley, H., vs. Ramsdell, C.; Mitchell, H., vs. Beadle, C.; Byerly, H., vs. Gluck, C.; Priest, H., vs. Childs, C.; Chandler, Y., vs. Stephens, P.; Burgess, Y., vs. Alexander, P.; Jefferson, Y., vs. Tiemann, P.; Parsons, Y., vs. Ferger, P.

Thursday--Hadley, H., vs. Stephens, P.; Mitchell, H., vs. Alexander, P.; Byerly, H., vs. Tiemann, P.; Priest, H., vs. Ferger, P.; Chandler, Y., vs. Ramsdell, C.; Burgess, Y., vs. Beadle, C.; Jefferson, Y., vs. Gluck, C.; Parsons, Y., vs. Childs, C.

Friday--Hadley, H., vs. Chandler, Y.; Mitchell, H., vs. Burgess, Y.; Byerly, H., vs. Jefferson, Y.; Priest, H., vs. Parsons, Y.; Stephens, P., vs. Ramsdell, C.; Alexander, P., vs. Beadle, C.; Tiemann, P., vs. Gluck, C.; Ferger, P., vs. Childs, C.