DEATH OF PROFESSOR GROSS

Funeral Held Yesterday.--Appreciation by Professor Merriman.

Professor Charles Gross h.'91 died at the Stillman Infirmary yesterday morning at 4.30 o'clock from a malignant tumor of the stomach, after a severe illness of five days. The funeral was held in Appleton Chapel yesterday morning at 11 o'clock, and College exercises were suspended for that reason between 11 and 12 o'clock. Professor E.C. Moore, D.D., chairman of the Board of Preachers, officiated at the ceremonies. The body accompanied by the deceased's two brothers was sent to Troy, N.Y. for burial. The honorary pallbearers at the funeral were President Eliot, President Lowell, Professor Emerton, Dean Briggs, Professor Kittredge, Professor A.C. Coolidge, Dean Haskins and Dean Gay. The service was short and simple and closed with the congregation singing the hymn "Oh God, our help in ages past."

Charles Gross was born in Troy, N.Y. on February 10, 1857. He was graduated from Williams College in 1878 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. During his life he received degrees of A.M. from Williams College, Ph.D. from University of Gottingen, A.M. from Harvard University, and LL.D. from Williams College. After four years of literary work in England, he returned to this country in 1888 and was appointed an instructor of History in the University. Gradually working higher, in 1901 he became a professor, and in 1908 was tendered the chair of the Gurney Professor of History and Political Science.

He went abroad last winter, following an operation on his stomach, and apparently found relief in the climate of Sicily. In London, however, his old trouble recurred. Returning to this country, he took up his work although far from well. His sudden attack and subsequent death came as a surprise.

Professor "Gross was the author of many books and pamphlets on the Mediaeval History of England, and was a member of several American and Foreign Historical Societies.

Appreciation of Prof. Gross.

By the death yesterday at the Stillman Infirmary of Professor Charles Gross, the University loses one of her greatest scholars and most devoted servants. For the past 21 years he has worked here with unflagging energy and zeal, a shining example for his pupils, and an object of love and admiration to all who knew him; while his books have brought to Harvard wide renown in his chosen field of Mediaeval English History both in this country and in Europe. Modest, unselfish and retiring, with the broad outlook and noble charity of judgment which supplement and adorn the highest attainment, he labored steadily onward, never courting prominence or notoriety, but at the same time deeply grateful for the many testimonies of admiration and respect from the world of scholars which poured in upon him in increasing numbers during the past ten years. His last illness, though prolonged, was mercifully almost painless, and it was eminently characteristic of him that up to the very last he found his most congenial occupation in correcting and preparing for the press the work of another--the doctoral dissertation of a recent graduate of the University who had been one of his favorite pupils. As long as it continues to be the aim of Harvard to set before her students high standards of scholarship and worthy examples of unselfish devotion to noble ends, just so long will the name of Charles Gross stand among the foremost on her roll of honor