ADVERTISING.

Many of the rules laid down for the guidance of the undergraduates seem hard to understand at first, but if they are carefully considered, some good reason for their existence will usually be found. We must confess, however, that we are unable to discover any good foundation for the regulation in regard to advertising college dramatic productions. The managers of these plays are not allowed to advertise in the Boston papers, and can only bring their productions to the notice of the general public by placards which are restricted in size and color. Of course these offerings are primarily for the members of the University, but graduates and their friends should always be welcome. If general advertising were allowed, many people would come who would really enjoy themselves and who would contribute to the financial success of the undertakings.

The best reason for this limitation which occurs to us is the desire to avoid publicity, but when this publicity can be of no possible harm, we are at a loss to understand the attitude towards it. Or possibly the authorities object to having the undergraduates make too much of a business of what should properly be a pastime, by entering into competition with the outside theatres. But a pastime becomes less pleasurable when attended with financial loss, and larger audiences would prevent the occurrence of this unfortunate contingency.