SUGGESTION FOR THE GYMNASIUM.

The communication printed in another column this morning represents the attitude of many undergraduates in regard to the need of a new gymnasium. It is suggested that the first move toward the collection of the necessary funds be made by the members of the University, and that the interest shown by them will induce the graduates to lend a hand. This suggestion is well worth the consideration of the Student Council, and if practicable should be acted on at once. Of course only a small per cent of the whole sum needed could be raised in this way, but even so, the amount collected would indicate that the students keenly realized the need of a new building, and possibly graduates who contemplated making some donation to the University would be guided to a certain extent by the wished of the undergraduates.

It is stated in the communication that "no one doubts in the least the need of a new gymnasium." If there are any doubters, their attitude will be completely changed by a visit to the present building. Aside from the lager defects in ventilation and room, there are many smaller ones which are just as objectionable. Apparently the mats are seldom if ever cleaned, for they are usually covered with dust. The shower baths have long ago outgrown their usefulness, and are absolutely inadequate when there are any number of men wishing to use them. In the bottoms of many of the lockers the dust of ages has accumulated. Many of the machines for pulling weights are out of order, there are not enough mats to go around, the dressing rooms are usually uncomfortably overheated, and there are countless other disadvantages. In comparison with the equipment of other colleges, or plant is medieval in every respect.

We urge every member of the University to visit the gymnasium any afternoon between 5 and 6 o'clock. If the Student Council decides to start a campaign, their most effective method of raising money will be to conduct the non-believers through the building. After such a trip, there are but few who will not be willing to subscribe.