Report of Astronomical Observatory

In the sixty-third annual report of the Astronomical Observatory, Professor E. C. Pickering '65 states that, as in the case of the previous year, the distinctive feature of the work has been publication. During the last 12 months the publications exceeded those of the first 30 years following the establishment of the Observatory. The continuation of the work on the annals is now the greatest need of the Observatory. An annual sum of $5,000 and a fire-proof building for the library are urgently needed.

In the departments of the East Equatorial and the Meridian Circle 14,000 photometric observations have been made, an increase of 1,000 over the number of the previous year. Many stars, whose variability is doubtful, have been observed by means of two photometers, whose accuracy of measurement permits even slight changes to be detected with certainty. The reduction of the observations of the stars in the Zone is nearly completed. The instrument used for this work should be remounted in a separate building.

The work laid out for the 2-inch and 4-inch meridian photometers has been completed, the observations exceeding a million in number. With the 12-inch instrument 60,208 settings were made, raising the total during the last 10 years to over 600,000.

The number of photographs taken with the two Draper Telescopes was 1,089, making the total 35,000. The entire number of photographs of the stars taken at Cambridge during the year was 4,100 and 25 new variable stars have been discovered.

At the Arequipa station the total number of stellar photographs taken during the year was 3,509. Meteorological observations have been continued as in former years. Very extensive and important work is being done at the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory in the way of atmospheric observations. Kite-flying is an effective method of observation.

The library of the Observatory has been increased by 337 volumes and 2,497 pamphlets. The total number of both in the library on October 1, 1908, was 40,283. Twenty-five telegraphic announcements have been issued.