FRESHMAN UNITY.

We are publishing in another column this morning a communication urging the preparation every year of a Freshman photograph album, so that the members of the class might learn to know each other earlier in their College course. Although we are not particularly in favor of this artificial mode of making acquaintances, we realize with the writer the necessity of strengthening the unity of the various Freshman classes. As conditions are at present, it is not until the end of his Senior year that the average undergraduate really feels that he knows the men of his class, and anything which could bring this about in the Freshman year would be well worth adoption.

It is generally understood that Professor Lowell is in favor of an exclusively Freshman dormitory, big enough for all the members of the class. If this could be established, the question of Freshman unity would be settled once and for all. With the whole class lodged under one roof, with a suitable common room for a general meeting place, the members would soon become acquainted, and many friendships would be formed immediately which now take about four years to develop. But it will undoubtedly be some time before this ideal is realized, and another method should be devised for use until that time.

We believe that the custom of wearing class buttons now in use of the Senior class with but mediocre success should be transferred to the Freshman class. At first it may seem undesirable to tag the first-year men in this way, but after all there is nothing particularly disgraceful or shameful in being a Freshman. If this custom were adopted, Freshmen would be materially aided in picking out their classmates, and before the end of the year would be more a unit than at present.