VICTORY AND DEFEAT.

In spite of the track team's defeat at New Haven, Saturday's athletics resulted very satisfactorily for Harvard. It is never pleasant to be beaten, but considering all the attendant circumstances, one cannot help being proud of the team's remarkably creditable showing. In the first place every man was in good condition, and the points lost were simply due to the superior physique of the opponents. There were no cases of overtraining, so noticeable in many Harvard track teams, preventing the winning of deserved points. Everyone did as well as the could be expected to, and several did better. When defeat is met under such conditions, there can be no ground for complaint. To the members of the team, who worked hard through a discouraging season, the greatest praise is due. Their spirit at the meet was admirable, and gives promise of great things at the intercollegiates next week.

The real reason for the defeat lies in the lack of suitable candidates for the weight events, which we have harped on so constantly and so unsuccessfully. Yale's three heavy football players who practiced faithfully all through the year naturally had no trouble in winning all points in the hammer-throw, and in the shot-put Harvard had but one man of first-class ability. There must be many men in this College who could have won points in these events if they had only been willing to try, and yet the spirit here is not strong enough to make them go out.

The University baseball team gave us the agreeable sensation of seeing Princeton decisively defeated. It was the first victory in this college generation, and it was an exceedingly satisfactory one.