ANNUAL CORNELL CREW RACE

On Lake Cayuga Monday at 5.--Review of Season of Both Crews.

On Monday afternoon at 5 o'clock the University crew will row its annual race with Cornell over a two-mile straightaway course on Lake Cayuga. The Cornell crew will be exactly the same eight which defeated the second University crew by a little over a length in a mile and 550 yards course at the American Henley Regatta last Saturday. The University crew will row in its regular order, as Waid returned to No. 7 Thursday.

Since the arrival of the squad at Ithaca on Thursday the University crew has been rowing twice a day, for the most part taking very light work. The crew has been together now for over three months, and although the weather conditions have been unusually poor this spring, the crew has developed into an exceptionally powerful and fast eight. Since the Columbia race on April 17, the order has been unchanged except for the absence of R. Cutler for one day and the temporary illness of Waid during the last few days. The men are much better together than they were a month ago and the crew has improved materially. The boat moves out well between strokes without any noticeable check, the slide work is even and smooth, and the crew as a whole shows racing power and drive. Five out of the eight men in the boat rowed against Cornell last year, all of them have had considerable invaluable racing experience, and the crew averages nearly five pounds more to the man than the Cornell eight. It has repeatedly beaten the strong second University crew by many lengths, a crew which Cornell was only able to beat by a scant length even when it was rowing poorly and with one of its best men out of the boat.

This year the Cornell crews have been very seriously handicapped by poor weather. Although they had their first work on the inlet on February 22, the crews were only able to get out about twice a week during the whole month of March. In the course of practice during this month Coach Courtney found that he did not have enough good men to make up two satisfactory university crews, and on March 15 he took Kelley and Weed out of the University boat and placed them in the junior university crew at No. 3 and stroke respectively. This junior crew was eligible for the race for junior intercollegiate eights at the American Henley Regatta as there was not a man in the boat who had rowed in a four-mile intercollegiate contest. The junior crew continually defeated the university crew with ease in all practice races, and the university crew was kept together merely as a matter of form. Conditions on the lake became alarming from the middle of March to April 27, as the boats were continually damaged by floating debris. Since April 27, however, the conditions on the lake have been good, and the junior crew, which by this time was considered as Cornell's University crew, improved rapidly. After winning against the second University crew last Saturday, Coach Courtney decided to row the same eight against Harvard in Monday's race, and he divided his university crew up into two four-oars. Seven men in the crew, including the coxswain, were in last year's freshman boat. Kelley, at No. 3 rowed bow in last year's university four-oar, and Weed, at stroke, rowed the same position in the gentlemen's four of two years ago. The crew rows the long, steady stroke with a slow recovery which is characteristic of Cornell crews, but the eight as yet has not shown anything above the average speed, and is far behind the University crew in racing experience and weight.

The orders of the crews will be:

Harvard--Stroke, Sargent: 7, Waid; 6, R. Cutler; 5, L. Withington; 4, Bacon; 3, Faulkner; 2, Lunt; bow, E. Cutler; cox., Blagden.

Cornell--Stroke, Weed: 7, Names; 6, Day; 5, Sutton; 4, Aitchison; 3, Kelley; 2, Simson; bow, Seagraves; cox., Kimball