THE INTERCOLLEGIATES.

For the first time in several years, Harvard's chances for winning first place in the intercollegiate track meet seem fairly bright. The greatest praise we can give the members of the University team for gaining this position is to say that a few months ago very few thought they could possibly be victorious. It was only by the hardest kind of work on the part of both athletes and coaches that a well-rounded team was developed, and as the season progressed the results of this consistent effort were plainly shown. Although we were defeated by Yale two weeks ago, the showing was much better than expected, and today the team is stronger than ever. With the representatives of other colleges to divide the points in the events where Harvard is weakest, there is a great opportunity for the University team to carry off the honors.

Yesterday's trials were most encouraging. All the members of the team showed up to good advantage, and qualified wherever they were expected to. With a warm day today, as predicted, there should be an all-around improvement, and although a definite forecast of a big track meet is practically impossible, a very cheerful view can reasonably be taken of Harvard's prospects.