PRES. LOWELL AT CINCINNATI

Welcomed and Cheered with Mr. Eliot by Graduates at Annual Meeting.

CINCINNATI, O., May 29, 1909.--The thirteenth annual meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs, which was held at Cincinnati today and yesterday, was of unusual importance to the University because it gave about four hundred graduates their first mental and physical view of President Lowell. A great deal depended on the graduates' first impression of him, as one the idea which he himself formed of those strong men of the Middle West Whence comes so much of Harvard's support and influence.

Election of Officers.

The meeting, held at the Hotel Sinton, was opened at 10 o'clock yesterday morning by Robert J. Cary '90, president of the Associated Harvard Clubs. Mr. Cary made a short address before proceeding to the business of the meeting. In the afternoon there were a number of informal discussions on questions bearing on important college questions. Later the following officers were elected for the coming year: president, T. W. Slocum '90, of New York; vice-presidents, eastern division, W. C. Baylies '84, of Boston; central division, M. D. Follansbee '92, of Chicago, Ill.; southern division, H. M. Atkinson '84, of Atlanta, Ga.; western division, E. M. Grossman '96, of St. Louis, Mo.; Pacific Coast division, H. Chapin '76, of Seattle, Wash.; secretary, M. O. Simons '91, of Cleveland, O.; treasurer, L. E. Osborn '93, of Cincinnati, O. After the elections the proposed amendments to the constitution were adopted, and it was decided to hold the next meeting in May, 1910, at Cleveland, O.

Speakers at Dinner.

The banquet hall, in which the annual dinner was held, was beautifully decorated with crimson, and in the whole assemblage of graduates, there was no word of adverse criticism for our new president. Everyone was delighted with his personality, with what he had to say and the way in which he said it. He made a lasting impression on the graduates and from this time on he may surely count on the allegiance of every man at the meeting. At the dinner W. W. Taylor '68, president of the Cincinnati Harvard Club, presided and acted as toastmaster. President Lowell, in the words of a prominent graduate, "in a strong, clean-cut, direct speech showed himself to be a man who at once impresses one with the idea that he can be trusted to do for the University the right thing at the right time." He said, "College training must mean something more than the bare intellectual sense. The college man is not to be made from books alone, athletics and the social side of college life are equally as important. The main business of the college, however is in fixing a standard for men. By this standard men go through life, and it is the purpose of the college to encourage a standard that is not so high as to be impossible of attainment, and yet not so low as to prove a detriment. The college in this sense makes the man."

Mr. Eliot was next called upon, and as he rose the graduates cheered and clapped. A mighty welcome to a great man which lasted several minutes. During his seeech Mr. Eliot said, "Harvard is today not only a national college, but it is intensely democratic to the core, and not only Harvard, but the American college, has justified itself to the American people."

Among the other speakers were Judge Rufus Smith, president of the Cincinnati Yale Club; Major Henry Lee Higginson '55, T. W. Slocum '90, the newly elected president of the Associated clubs; Governor A. E. Willson '69, of Kentucky; and A. G. Cable '09.

Tribute to Mr. Eliot.

Just as the crowd was about to leave the hall, and after Mr. Eliot had already left, President Lowell rose and spoke of his predecessor as follows: "It is President Eliot's wonderful strength of character that has brought him through his forty years of unselfish work for Harvard crowned with well earned laurels from all over the world, and has given our University her present undisputed supremacy throughout the length and breadth of this broad land."

In the discussion of college athletics the delegates all agreed that physical training was not being overdone in Harvard or in the majority of the other large colleges. P. D. Haughton '99, head coach of the football team, R. F. Herrick '90, a member of the Athletic Committee, and A. G. Cable '09 were all prominent in the discussion of this subject.

In addition to the meetings mentioned there was a barbecue at the Country Club this afternoon. But the striking feature of the whole meeting was the perfectly unanimous sense of approval, by all present, of President Lowell in every particular. This fact cannot but have impressed itself on his mind and will doubtless be a great inspiration to him just at this time when there are pressing upon him the responsibilities of the great office to which he has been elected