TECHNOLOGY INAUGURATION

Pres. Lowell Extended Harvard Greetings to Pres. R. C. Maclaurin.

At the inauguration of President R. C. Maclaurin of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in Symphony Hall yesterday morning, President Lowell, in greeting President Maclaurin in behalf of the University, spoke first of the great population of Boston and its vicinity, and of the small natural resources of New England as compared with some other parts of the country. "And yet," he said, "I believe it would be hard to find any other spot in the whole world where the comfort and the standard of living are so high. Our success has been due to the intellectual and moral education of our people. It is with reason, therefore, that we can speak of education as our most important industry. The achievements of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have been great--greater even than the public is aware. Not only does the institute each year send out its young men to place their skilled services at the disposal of the world, but the number of her faculty have constantly--and often without remuneration--been solving problems which contribute materially to our welfare and the progress of the world. Absorbed in their work, the modesty of the professors has in a measure obscured the reputation of the institution of which they form a part. Higher education is of necessity unselfish, and it is well that it is so. Education is twice blessed. It is fitting that Technology's new president should apply here the education which he has taught in two countries and acquired in a third. It is my privilege to give to you the greetings of the University across the river. We extend to you the right hand of fellowship and wish you every success. May I add a personal word of congratulation upon your acceptance of the great trust confided to your hands."