Work of Christian Missions Outlined

The meeting held in the interest of Christian Missions in Sanders Theatre yesterday afternoon was attended by an enthusiastic audience of over 300 persons. Professor E. C. Moore presided and introduced the speakers.

D. Z. Yui 2G. explained the present spirit of "China for the Chinese." He said that his country would be justified in excluding all foreigners in view of the treatment she has received from foreign countries. But her policy is not so short-slighted. It is a policy striving for peace, independence, democracy, liberty, and patriotism. And although such qualities sound new for China they have been hers for over 4000 years. They have been dormant for a long time, but are now awakened by the touch of Christian Missions.

Mr. G. S. Eddy, Yale '91, said that the present unrest in India was most encouraging to the interests of Missions. All the various sects have united into one Church and are now doing much to raise the condition of the outcasts.

E. C. Carter '00 spoke of the work that the Student Volunteer League is doing to form a close bond between nations even though they may be politically hostile. He said that he believed an international sympathy was being awakened that was to make us, the favored, realize our duty toward the Chinaman in Peking, as great as that toward the Slav in the city slum.