Original College Wall Discovered
In the southeastward course of the excavations for the Cambridge subway, the southwest corner of the original "Harvard College," built in 1638, has been unearthed. On December 8, 1909, about forty feet of the wall of Edward Goffe's House, which stood on an adjoining lot, was discovered a little to the west of Wadsworth House, running parallel with the street. The piece just discovered is about 40 yards below Wadsworth House.
The corner is almost directly opposite the entrance to Holyoke House, and is in a perfect state of preservation. It is constructed of field stones. The wall running to the east appears to extend under the sidewalk around the "College Yard." The upper courses of both walls leading from the corner were removed years ago when the water mains were installed along Massachusetts avenue.