Review of Current Advocate

The present number of the Advocate offers a genial assortment of philosophy, poetry and fiction. The philosophy is given us editorially as well as in a contribution "On the Difficulty of Taking Oneself Seriously."

The advise of the editorial article on "Happy Mid-years," which seems to be aimed both against excessive "grinding" and frantic tutoring, is certainly worthy of consideration; the tone of the paragraph on new resolutions is that of admonition tinged with gentle cynicism. The contribution inveighing against serious-mindedness, is, however, not in the least cynical, and if it fails to convince some of us, it is not because the article is not pleasantly written. Of the two pieces of verse, "Winter Dreams" is poetical in conception, but the imagery seems to lack originality, and the lines drag. "River Wind," on the other hand, is really an excellent bit of verse. The idea is extremely poetical, the language, although very simple, is also poetical, while the swing of the lines carries the reader along. The theme of the poem reminds one instantly of Hovey, with whose lyrics of a similar kind "River Wind" compares not unfavorably.

Of the stories, "The Missing Volume" has possibilities of which the author does not take full advantage. It should have been done with greater subtlety, the ending especially, which is the obvious. The sketch itself is fairly original, and by no means badly done, but the style is unfortunately loose and somewhat careless. "Freshmen and Philanthropy," while somewhat conventional in certain respects, is decidedly amusing, and it contains something of a moral, which, however, is never allowed to become intrusive. It is decidedly better than the other college story. "Histrionics," which does not rise above the average undergraduate medley of athlete, gullible non-athlete, and fickle girl. "The Deserted House," while the ending is to be anticipated from the beginning, is clever in the dialogue. It is interesting as an attempt to display the feelings of characters through conversation only, all mention of emotion being avoided.

Finally, mention must be made of the single critical article in the number, "Debussy, A Depreciation," which is by no means lacking in satirical humor.

The number, as a whole, is fully up to the average, perhaps above it. "On Taking Oneself Seriously," the criticism of "Debussy," "Freshmen and Philanthropy," and "River Wind," are individual, and well worth while. Unfortunately there is no story so good as some of those we have had lately from K. B. Townsend.

Not unnaturally, one interested in undergraduate writing is inclined to ask, why should not the average undergraduate story be better than it usually is? Perhaps the writers do not take the matter quite seriously enough; they are too apt to regard their stories simply as a means to the pleasures of social life on the Board, not as steps toward a more truly literary expression. The works show haste, carelessness, and a willingness to be content with a product far short of that of which they are capable. And may it not also be asked. do those who write about college life endeavor to see penetratingly before they write? We do not need to go far afield for models. Flandrau's "Harvard Episodes," although dealing, as he says, with but a small corner of a very big place, show a keenness of insight which the undergraduate writer, even though he may not attain quite to it, would do well to strive after