Freshmen Defeated St. Mark's, 5 to 0

The Freshman football team began its season yesterday with a victory over St. Mark's at Southboro, by the score of 5 to 0. The Freshmen outweighed their opponents, and also profited from the number of second string men whom they were able to put in. Both teams suffered from fumbling, and the Freshmen were penalized six times for a total of 50 yards.

During the first period the Freshmen played a kicking game; taking advantage of a strong wind at their backs. Poor work by the St. Mark's backfield in handling punts gave Grant a chance to try for a goal from the 17-yard line. The attempt failed. The period ended with the Freshmen in possession of the ball on. St. Mark's 27-yard line. At the beginning of the next period two rushes by Chatfield and one by Reynolds brought the ball to St. Mark's 1-foot line. Reynolds circled right end for a touchdown, but Gardiner missed a difficult goal.

During the rest of the game neither goal line was dangerously threatened. St. mark's made first down only three times by rushing. The only successful forward pass of the game was made by the Freshmen.

Bradlee and Kean played the best game for St. Mark's, while Gardiner and Chatfield excelled for the Freshmen.

The line-ups: HARVARD 1914.  ST. MARK'S. C. Curtis, Dana, l.e.  r.e., Colidge Gardiner, l.t.  r.t., Burnett Bliss, l.g.  r.g. Kean Storer, c.  c., Parkman, McKinglock Hitchcock, McGuire, r.g.  l.g., Richards Howard, Willetts, r.t.  l.t., Howell Bulkeley, Devereux, Barron, r.e.  l.e., Brooks, Ervin, Graham Grant, Friedley, q.b.  q.b., Cottrell, Harriman Reynolds, Bettle, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Paris Chatfield, Sortwell, Allero, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Bradlee Bettle, O'Brien, f.b.  f.b., McKinlock Halcomb

Score--Harvard 1914, 5; St. Mark's, O. Touchdown -- Reynolds. Referee -- A. Noble of Amherst. Umpire--G. N. Bankart of Dartmouth. Field-judge--R. C. McGrail. Head-linesman--F. A. Flichtner of St, Mark's. Timekeepers-F. C. Badly of St. Mark's and H. B. Gardner of Hardvard. Time--Two 10 and two 8 minute periods.