HARVARD WON FROM M. I. T.

Victory for Cross-Country Team In Close Race.--Jaques Finished First.

The University cross-country team defeated Massachusetts Institute of Technology over the Chestnut Hill course Saturday afternoon by the score of 36 to 43. The teams were composed of 12 men, the first six for each team scoring according to the numerical order of their positions at the finish, and the team with the lower total winning. Captain H. Jaques, Jr., '11, H. P. Lawless '13 and P. R. Withington '12 won the three individual cups for the first three men to finish. Jaques made the remarkable time of 31 minutes, 5 4-5 seconds for the new five and one-half mile course. Lawless came in 150 yards behind him and 75 yards ahead of Withington.

The race started near the corner of Boylston street and Dunster road, Chestnut Hill. The course ran at first parallel to Boylston street; then crossing to the left it went to Warren farm. From there it circled and led back along Health street to Dunster road. At this point Jaques and Lawless were in the same positions they held at the start of the race, first and second respectively. The next members of the University team were Withington in fourth place, Viets in sixth, Nichols in eleventh and Groves in twelfth.

From there the course circled once more over the Warren farm, across Heath street and down on to the Chestnut Hill golf links. At this point Jaques had drawn away from Lawless, and Withington had come up to third place. At some distance behind the latter ran Groves in the midst of a group of Technology runners. From the golf links the race led into Dunster road, on which the finish was made.

The scoring and the times were as follows: 1, H. Jaques, Jr., '11, 31 min., 5 4-5 sec.; 2, H. P. Lawless '13, 31 min., 35 2-5 sec.; 3, P. R. Withington '12, 31 min., 42 2-5 sec.; 4, H. G. Watkins, Technology '11, 31 min., 48 4-5 sec.; 5, W. S. Davis, Technology '11, 31 min., 55 3-5 sec.; 6, H. S. Benson, Technology '12, 32 min., 8 sec.; 7, L. O. Mills, Technology '11, 32 min., 9 3-5 sec.; 8, E. E. Ferry, Technology '12, 32 min., 15 2-5 sec.; 9, H. L. Groves '12, 32 min., 19 4-5 sec.; 10, S. Nichols '13, 32 min., 22 sec.; 11, E. L. Viets '11, 32 min., 46 2-5 sec.; 13, K. Cartwright, Technology '12, 33 min. 4 sec. The other six members of the University team finished as follows: 12, C. W. Burrage '13; 16, W. P. Rogers '11; 17, W. H. Lacey '12; 18, W. A. Perkins '12; 20, P. C. Heald '11; 21, G. Boyd '12.