UNIVERSITY TEAM IMPROVED

By Strengthening of Line and Development of Backfield Candidates.

The practice for the University football team yesterday afternoon consisted of a hard 35-minute scrimmage with the second, following the usual closed practice in the Stadium. Practically all the substitutes on the first team were given a try-out under the direction of Coach Cutler, who had charge of the squad in the absence of Coach Haughton. Corbett was on the field in uniform, bud did not play, as his hand is still bandaged. It is doubtful whether he will play tomorrow.

In the scrimmage the first team easily excelled the second in every department of the game, scoring 16 points to the second's nothing. On the defence McKay and Minot seemed impregnable and their substitutes allowed but few gains through the centre of the line. For this reason there was very little work for the defensive backs. On the other hand, the second team line was strong and, except toward the end of the period, no substantial gains were made by the University backfield. Gardner, who alternated with Potter at quarterback, ran the team well and succeeded in working three forward passed for a total of 40 yards. Wendell and Graustein were the most effective in advancing the ball. Altogether the practice showed a steady improvement and an evidence of excellent material for nearly every position.

One forward pass for the first team was the only feature until T. Frothingham dropped the ball between the posts from the 15-yard line for the first score. The second team then kicked off to Potter, who ran it back 15 yards. Neither side could gain through the line, so Potter punted to the second's 20-yard line. After two ineffectual attempts by the backs, Page punted to Potter on the first team's 40-yard line. Wendell made it first down through tackle but the second's defence stiffened after the ball had been worked to the 10-yard line and received the ball on downs. In an attempt to kick out, the ball was blocked and recovered by Huntington behind the goal-line. No attempt was made to kick the goal. By means of two well-executed forward passes and large gains on the exchange of punts, the first team advanced the ball to the 5-yard line, whence Graustein scored on a plunge through centre. After a short scrimmage three more points were scored by T. Frothingham on a drop-kick from the 25-yard line.

The teams lined up as follows: UNIVERSITY TEAM,  SECOND TEAM. Felton, Lewis, Amory, l.e.  r.e., Tobey, Eckfeldt, Thixton McKay, Bush, l.t.  r.t., Jenks, Pfaelzer Minot, F. Leslie, Stow, l.g.  r.g., O'Hare Perkins, P. Smith, Huntington, c.  c., Jones, Makepeace Fisher, Keays, Blodgett, r.g.  l.g., Wulsin, Fox Withington, Parmenter, r.t.  l.t., Blagden, Lawson L. Smith, O'Flaherty, Jowett, Hollister, r.e.  l.e., Paine Potter, Gardner, q.b.  q.b., Callendar, Peck T. Frothingham, Morrison, Graustein, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Halley, Foristall

Campbell, Pierce, Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Morton, Proctor, StarrH. Leslie, Tryon, T. H. Frothingham, f.b.  f.b., French, Hardwic