GREAT ENTHUSIASM SHOWN

At Well-Attended Mass Meeting Last Night--Excellent Speeches.

The first football mass meeting of the year, held in the Union last night, was marked by great enthusiasm, the crowd filling the Living Room and the gallery and overflowing into the halls. R. C. Foster '11 led the cheering, and S. B. Steele '11 the singing. Kanrich's band played the music for the songs.

Coach Haughton was the first speaker, and was greeted with the same enthusiasm he received in the fall of 1908. He spoke on "Harvard Spirit," as follows:

"Two years ago, I spoke here on the criticism that was being heaped on the Harvard team; but tonight I shall speak on the 'Harvard Spirit.' But before I take this up, let me say something about over-confidence.

"This is a disease which attacks men unseen and unnoticed by ourselves, and unless we are constantly on the lookout, we are unaware of its presence, until the damage is done. The present situation is very serious for the Harvard team and its supporters, in that up to the present we have continued to win our games by a safe margin, while Yale has twice been defeated and once tied.

"After the Yale-Brown game, I heard a Yale man, by comparing the scores which Brown made against Yale and Harvard, deduce that Harvard would win from Yale by the score of 33 to 0. Now that man had lost all his sand, just as we are likely to lose ours and become over-confident. I have no fear for Yale, but I have the greatest respect for them, for I have seen them under similar circumstances to these of the present, come back like a thousand of brick and snatch victory from a Yale defeat.

"The nature of the game also makes the situation critical. It has been noticed how open the game is, and how seriously mistakes by either team have resulted. It is such mistakes as these that win or lose a championship game, and it is particularly difficult to guard against them as the game is played this year.

"Teams have 'off' and 'on' days. Yale was 'off' her game in the Brown game, so was Brown in the Pennsylvania game. Brown missed a touchdown by four feet against Harvard, but she got all in the Yale game. Yale may do the same against us; but not if we do our duty.

"A Yale graduate once said that the reason Yale won was because eleven Harvard men played against 20,000 Yale men filled with the 'Yale spirit.' This statement has been true in this coming event, the tables can be turned. We must become saturated with the true 'Harvard spirit' which can and will overwhelm any 'Yale spirit' which Yale can muster. We must saturate ourselves with the 'Harvard spirit,' not of the vintage which says, 'O Hell, we will win; let's have another drink,' but with the 'Harvard spirit' which spells determination to win. Let us all concentrate our minds on this, so that the players will feel the vibrations and be affected by it. In 1908, at New Haven, I felt these vibrations on the side lines. In 1909, I felt 'Harvard pessimism.' Now in 1910, I demand a solid phalanx of 'success vibrations.'

"If this is done, the Harvard team will be distinctly 'on' her game, and this is all I ask when the game is played."

L. Withington, Jr., '11 spoke next. He was greeted with great enthusiasm. Withington said that he hoped this spirit would follow the team to New Haven as it did in 1908. But he then pointed out that there were two distinct kinds of spirit: first, a drunken spirit. This is no "Harvard spirit." It has done more harm than good, for it is apt to influence the players and put a listless spirit in them. For the supporters of a team are just as much a part of team as are the players themselves. Second, a criticising spirit. Quite often men in the stands think they could coach a team just as well as the coaches, and feel that they see mistakes which the coaches do not. This spirit must cease. Instead of criticising, the undergraduates must put confidence in the team and help the coaches.

The circumstances are different from those of two years ago. Yale has good team individually, especially in the line, for the Brown game showed that. In our game with Brown, our line showed weakness. Thus matters are not as rosy as the general public thinks. Then, too, the Dartmouth game is coming and will not be an easy game, but one where Harvard must exert all her efforts.

All who go to New Haven must get behind the team and push. The team will be on a field with conditions far different from those in the Stadium, and the team is likely to make mistakes. But if the supporters of the team are full of determination to win, Yale shall be beaten.

After the speeches, four old songs were rehearsed. During the singing of "On to Victory" at New Haven, a week from Saturday, it is planned to have a white "H" on a red background. Those men who are to form this "H" will be informed later by a notice in the CRIMSON. All the songs recently accepted were also sung.

There will be two more mass meetings this year. One on next Monday in the Union, and one next Wednesday in Sanders Theatre