THE YALE GAME.

The game this afternoon will decide whether or not Harvard is to hold unquestionably the football championship of 1910. A victory for the University eleven can leave no doubt of its preeminence. Should Yale win, Brown as well as the teams playing today will have a claim to the title; for Harvard has beaten Brown, Brown won from Yale, and Yale, will have defeated Harvard. The scores would indicate a triple tie, and expert opinion would have to name the champion.

Both Yale and Harvard are strong, and although the former developed late, there can be no doubt of its present power. Lack of experienced material at New Haven formed a serious handicap to rapid development, and Mr. Camp's absence deprived the team, during the early season, of his supervision, which has been in the past Yale's greatest football asset. By defeating Princeton, however, the eleven showed that it has finally discovered its formerly latent strength and that the winning team will have to use all its power and all its knowledge before time is called.

The University team has been extremely fortunate in having the services of Head-Coach Haughton. Its steady yet rapid development shows how well in the past two years he has worked with an eye to the future. In material also the team was well off, for there remained men for every position who had had experience on the University eleven. These two factors have combined to produce an intelligent football machine which is perhaps the strongest that has ever represented Harvard. Beside displaying unusual physical power, the 1910 team has maintained the highest average academic standing of any eleven in the history of the University. This exceedingly gratifying condition is due almost entirely to the inspiring leadership of Captain Withington. In any case he must have unstinted praise; and if his team wins, he deserves as much credit as Coach Haughton.