NEW VISITING PROFESSORS

Their Courses and Work Described by Prof. W. B. Munro, A.M., '99

Two distinguished Englishmen have come to Harvard to take part in instruction during the second half-year. Professor G. W. Prothero, editor of the Quarterly Review, formerly Professor of History in the University of Edinburgh, and recently president of the Royal Historical Society of England offers History 30. This is a half-course on "The Creation of the British Empire," and will deal with the expansion of England and with the present-day administration of imperial affairs. It will meet on Mondays and Wednesday at 10 in Emerson A.

Mr. Graham Wallas, a former member of the London County Council, and now Lecturer in the London School of Economics, is to give three half-courses in Government. The first of these, Government 10, will deal with English National Government and will be open to undergraduates. The other two, which are primarily for graduates but open also to undergraduates who have had some training in history and political science, are to deal with English Local Government, Government 18, and with "The Psychological Conditions of Modern Government," Government 31. Mr. Wallas is well known to American readers through his recent remarkable book on "Human Nature in Politics"; and, besides being a scholar of international reputation, he has had much active experience in English politics.

In connection with the generous gift made to the University last year by Frank G. Thomson '97 for additional instruction in Municipal Government two half-courses will be given by Dr. Eliott H. Goodwin '95. One of these, Government 17b, will be devoted to The Government of American Cities, and the other, Government 24, will deal with the subject of Municipal Reform, Dr. Goodwin has been for ten years or more the chief executive officer of the National Civil Service Reform League. Attention may also be called to a new half-course, Economics 24, on Municipal Ownership and Control to be given by Dr. A. N. Holcombe '06.

Owing to the absence of Professor R. B. Merriman '96 the second half of History 11 will be in charge of Professor A. L. Cross '95, of the University of Michigan. Professor Cross will also give, during the second half-year, the course known as History 9 which was formerly conducted by the late Professor Charles Gross.