Additions to Germanic Museum

A cast of the so-called Emperor Konrad III, the oldest equestrian statue of German sculpture, has been received by the Germanic Museum from His Royal Highness, the Prince Regent of Bavaria. It stands on a pillar in the transept of Bamberg Cathedral; and, since Konrad III is buried in this Cathedral, it is indeed possible that this equestrian statue was erected in his memory. There is, however, no direct evidence of this, and the statue itself shows unmistakable affinity to some princely figures of Rheims Cathedral. It is, therefore, probably safest to consider it as an ideal impersonation of a mediaeval ruler. While the attempt made by some critics to identify this statue with the youthful Parzival is fantastical, it cannot be denied that in the far-away, dreamy, but spirited look of the rider there is something that suggests the Grail-seeker.

Twenty facsimile reproductions of Flemish and Dutch paintings, from the van Eycks to the elder Breughel have been given by Mr. H. W. Putnam. These reproductions are in the size of the originals and are strikingly like them in color scheme. They were published under the guidance of Professor Pol de Mont, director of the Royal Museum at Antwerp. Among them are such masterpieces as Hubert van Eyck's "Madonna in a Church," Jan van Eyck's Triptych of the "Madonna with St. Michael and St. Katherine," Rogier van der Weyden's "young Patrician Lady," and Quenten Metsys's "Mary Magdalen."

The Fairmount Park Art Association of Philadelphia has given a full-size cast of the monumental "Amazon," by August Kiss.