1911 SENIOR DORMITORIES

New Plan Presented by L. Withington at Junior Schandegaff Night.

The 1911 Schandegaff Night, which was held last evening in the Dining Room of the Union, was fully and enthusiastically attended, very original and enjoyable entertainments being given by members of the class. A trio of S. B. Stell, A. M. Osgood, and F. R. Hancock gave two remarkably good songs, followed by a story by H. Edmands. J. W. Bowen '12 played two banjo selections, followed by some very clever sleight-of-hand tricks by S. B. Blodgett. Following this came the serious question of the evening--the Senior dormitories. L. Withington, in outlining the plans, said that President Lowell and Dean Hurlbut were more than willing to entrust its solution to the class, provided sufficient enthusiasm and support were manifested. A committee representative of every interest in the class will be appointed and will welcome suggestions and advice on the subject. The present method of assignment by lot of not more than four rooms will be replaced by the new system, which will enable a group of form 14 to 16 men to take a whole entry, thus making it possible for friends to get rooms together without being subjected to a chance assignment that may separate them and put them alongside men with whom they have no common interest or are not in the least congenial. Hollis and Stoughton have very good conveniences on every floor, while Holworthy has always proved so popular as to show that men are willing to overlook its slight disadvantages for the greater benefits that result from rooming there. If the number of applications warrant it, the College will modernize the middle entry of Thayer, which has the additional advantage of a large Living Room, or will turn over to the class any Yard building which may meet the requirements better. The College is ready to do anything to do away with the disadvantages of the present system of allotment and it only remains for the class to deserve its confidence by united action which will reinstate the Senior year as the most enjoyable, democratic, and broad of the whole four in College.

E. Harding emphasized the fact that this new system will enable the small units in which every class is divided to live close together and, by learning each others' points of view, prevent the rupture and disunion which have in some former years ruined all class unity and life after graduation. The next speaker, A. Gregg, praised the new method in that it enabled men to have some sincere reason for rooming in the Yard and did away with the custom of applying simply because it was a thing generally done by most of the class. P. D. Smith, denying the general opinion that friends are not made during Senior year, said that great reliance may be placed in the hearty favor of our greatest graduate; President Lowell, who is doing so much to unify the College and do away with disconnected cliques. The Senior year is the time to renew those acquaintances made at Freshman beer-nights and other activities, and cement them into friendships, while at the same time strengthening those already held.