FOR THE BENEFIT OF FRESHMEN.

The rowing management and coaches are rightly indignant at the small number and unconcern of the Freshman crew candidates. 62 men reported for the first regular crew practice Monday. Only 15 responded to the urgent call published for more men, and a corresponding number of the original squad cut yesterday. Thus 62 was the greatest number of men available for practice either day. There must be some reasons for such a pitiful showing: the only ones apparent are laziness and a misunderstanding of the necessary qualifications of an oarsman--height and weight. We will pass over the former with the remark that the class of 1913 is bidding fair to mar the excellent record which it has maintained so far. As to the latter, we can only reiterate the statement that no previous experience is necessary, and that many 'Varsity oarsmen never sat in a shell before coming to College.

It is futile to expect the coaches to turn out a winning Freshman crew without the support of the class. Therefore, all men of suitable build should report to them without delay, and it is, moreover, essential that they report regularly and promptly at the times assigned.