Mr. Copeland on Impromptu Speaking

Mr. Copeland delivered his lecture on "Extemporaneous Speaking," in the Dining Room of the Union yesterday evening. Mr. Copeland commenced his remarks by observing that speaking is an art to master which requires infinite labor and, in addition, is one in which to attain proficiency, an original gift is an additional necessity.

There are four ways of delivering a lecture: reading from a manuscript, a proceeding sometimes entertaining but never thrilling; learning by heart, which is seldom more successful; the combination of the two, so often heard in pulpits and meetings, called speaking from notes; and the true, natural way which involves thorough preparation of the subject, without foreknowledge of the words in which it is to be delivered. Then the lecturer if he is clever gives the impression of talking casually but very well, and of having something on his mind which he wishes to impress upon his audience.

Force which is born in one and can never be taught, is another requisite as are ease and clearness, though these latter may be partially acquired. Personality, too, is important; for a lecturer must be able to hold the attention: once this is lost, it can never be regained. Finally a speaker must always attempt to make his speech appropriate to the place, the occasion, and the audience.