First Lecture by M. Boutroux Today

M. Emile Boutroux, president of the "Fondation Thiers," Paris, will deliver the first of a series of eight lectures on the general subject of "Contingency and Liberty" in Emerson D this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. These lectures, which are to be in French, will be given in connection with Philosophy 4, and will be open to members of the University only.

Hyde Lectures Begin Tomorrow.

M. Boutroux will give the first of the Hyde lectures in the New Lecture Hall tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock on "Pascal."

These lectures are held under the auspices of the Cercle Francais, and have been made possible by a fund of $30,000 given in 1898 by James Hazen Hyde '98. A series has been given each year since then on subjects varying from the history of French romanticism to a study of finance in France.

M. Boutroux is one of the foremost thinkers in France today, and is ranked probably as her leading philosopher. He has embodied his doctrines in several books, the most famous of which are "De la Contingence de Lois de la Nature," "Etudes d'Histoire de la Philosophie," and "De l'Idee de la Loi Naturelle dans la Science et la Philosophie Contemporaine."

The "Fondation Thiers," of which M. Boutroux is president, is an institution devoted exclusively to original research in all branches of learning. M. Boutroux is also a member of the "Academie des Sciences Morales et Politiques," a member of the "Institut de France," honorary professor of history of modern philosophy at the University of Paris, Commandeur of the Legion of Honor, associe etranger of the "Academie des Lincei in Rome," and correspondent of the British Academy.

M. Boutroux was first a professor at the Lycee de Caen and then he became a member of the Faculte des Lettres de Montpellier whence he went to occupy the same position at Nancy. In 1888 he was made assistant professor and later professor of Philosophy at the Sorbonne. It was there that he delivered the lectures on "Kant" and "Pascal" which made a tremendous impression and were considered by some to be the most profound and brilliant ever delivered in France.

M. Boutroux's greatest contribution, however, lies in his attitude towards the philosophers and philosophies about which he writes. Instead of presenting the theories and dogmas of a philosopher as he left them, M. Boutroux has attempted to give to each system an historical individuality, by tracing the distinctive traits of each tenet or theory as it developed in the mind of the philosopher. Everywhere he adds the personal touch of the man to his characterization of his works.

These lectures are all open to the public but seats will be reserved for ticket holders until five minutes before each lecture. The dates and titles of the remaining lectures follow:

March 10.--Auguste Comte.

March 17.--L'essence de la religion.

March 22.--Le mouvement philosophique contemporain en France.