Fellowship in Dramatic Composition

The President and Fellows of Harvard College have accepted an offer for the year 1910-11, from the Student Fund Committee of the MacDowell Club of New York City, of a fellowship in dramatic composition with a stipend of $600. The conditions of the fellowship are as follows: it is to be assigned to a student in dramatic composition--the work now called English 47--and not for work in the history of the drama, though the holder of the fellowship may be required to take courses in that subject. The MacDowell Fellowship is intended for some person whose means will not permit work at Harvard or Radcliffe without this aid. All applicants for English 47 for 1910-11 must file with Professor Baker, by August 1, a dramatic manuscript. Applicants for the fellowship should at the same time submit a full statement of their reasons for desiring the fellowship. The name of the writer of the best manuscript submitted with such a statement will be sent to the Chairman of the Student Fund Committee of the McDowell Club, who will invistigate the character and previous work of the candidate. If the Chairman is satisfied with the investigation the candidate will be named as holder of the fellowship. The purpose of the fellowship is to aid persons who have already done dramatic writing of promise, but who need some technical training in order to gain their desired results. The follow-ship is open to students in dramatic composition in either Harvard or Radcliffe.