GERMAN AMBASSADOR'S VISIT

Count Bernstorff Guest of Deutscher Verein Yesterday at Noon.

Count Johann Heinrich von Bernstorff, the German Ambassador to the United States, was a guest yesterday at a small and informal reception of the Deutscher Verein, held in Grays 20, at 12.30 o'clock. During the reception, Count von Bernstorff consented to speak, and emphasized the need of a thorough understanding between the youth of Germany and this country. It is surprising, he said, how little each knows of the other, and how inaccurate and garbled even that little is. The exchange professors which attempt to bring the countries closer together, can do but little unless the attitude of the students whom they address is favorable. In closing, he complimented the Verein and offered to be of assistance to it in any way which lay in his power.

After the reception, Count von Bernstorff lunched with President Eliot, President Lowell, and several members of the German department, at the Union, being the guest of the Germanic Museum Association. In the evening he attended a dinner in Boston, given in his honor by the Boston Deutsche Gesellschaft.