Illustrated Reviewed by Mr. Davis

By H. N. Davis.

The current number of the Harvard Illustrated Magazine heralds the approaching end of the College year by publishing its annual Senior estimate of College courses. As usual Philosophy 4 heads the list, and furthermore, Philosophy A has the distinction of having received more favorable "points" than any other course in the list, and no unfavorable ones. These facts are an extraordinary and well deserved tribute to Professor Palmer, whose "splendid personality" and "high quality of lecturing" have for so many years been regarded by Harvard men as "unusually satisfactory."

One thing that is clearly brought out in the accompanying discussion, is that the average undergraduate is by no means affectionately disposed towards the average "young instructor." This fact is not new--only last month it was effectively presented in the Advocate--and it raises one of the most serious problems which any large university has to face.

A second fact which the published comments indicate is that, next after great personalities, undergraduates most highly appreciate painstaking care in the preparation of lectures and in the administration of courses. This fact is so well worth remembering as to make the Seniors' insistence on it of considerable value.

Besides this major inquiry into the University's efficiency, there are three minor ones, making in all an amount of criticism which is an excellent indication of that spirit of mutual frankness which President Lowell so much desires. The first of them is a vigorous plea by Mr. Cochrane '00 for the establishment of a course not merely on, but in Socialism. In resonant periods he berates us for not living up to our responsibility as "the foremost educational institution in the country" by turning out each year a goodly number of such enthusiasts as he is. I suspect, however, that in the ten years since he graduated, we have begun to give these fundamentally important questions a great deal more attention, in our quiet but reasonably effective way, than Mr. Cochrane realizes. The two remaining polemics, on public speaking and on oral examinations, should receive careful consideration, but are not particularly convincing.

The analysis of President Taft's unpopularity by Mr. Wilhelm is very readable; and so is Mr. Kuttner's revelation of the dietetic secret of Karl Brill's football success. Most of what Mr. Brill is quoted as saying about over-eating is lamentably true, but it should be remembered that one of the Dean's hardest problems every year is to get certain thin-chested, self-supporting Freshmen to eat enough, a task which this article may make all the harder. There are also two pleasantly written descriptions of the new subway and of the new Bussey Institution, which will interest those who happen not to have heard the facts before. And finally, there are a humorous defense of the chess club as a training school in "the manly art of (mental) self-defense," and an excellent receipt for making successful debating teams.