PROFITABLE DISCUSSION.

When we know how exhaustively undergraduates discuss the questions of the day, decide the fate of nations, and solve the problems of the universe, it seems strange to us that they should so coyly decline from putting their thoughts on paper, or, at all events, in print. This becoming reticence cheats the College papers, for they receive little or no support from men who are not editors. Surely the papers miss their mark if they do not give some stimulus to thought and offer a medium for undergraduate expression. The columns of all the papers are gaping open to any member of the University burdened with a new idea, or anything worth saying; but for some reason, we blush to suggest laziness, extraordinarily few articles are forthcoming, except from those who have to "fill" the papers for the press.

In his speech at the CRIMSON dinner President Lowell said, "I have a contempt for any young man who has not some of the seriousness of maturity about him...." We have not a doubt that the seriousness, and the ideas, too, are here, but they are as a rule cleverly concealed from the vulgar public eye, at least, so far as the College papers are concerned. With so many interesting problems about us, it is a pity that more men will not "come out of their shells" and express their ideas in print.