HARVARD, 1; HOLY CROSS, O

University Baseball Team Won Well-Played Game in Ninth Inning.

A batting rally in the ninth inning, in which Lanigan led off with a three-bagger and McLaughlin followed with a long hit which would have been good for three bases if it had been run out, enabled the University baseball team to win its first game with Holy Cross, on Soldiers Field yesterday, by the score of 1 to 0. It was a close and well-played game, with good pitching, fast fielding, and long hitting.

Hicks pitched a strong game for the University team. He allowed but four hits, and though one of these was a three-bagger and another a two-base hit, he prevented any scores when runs seemed imminent. Foley also was in good form up to the final inning and held Harvard without a hit for seven innings.

In the eighth, the University team came very close to scoring. Babson opened with a single to centre field, and was replaced by Haydock, who is a faster runner. Marshall and Young advanced him to third with well-placed sacrifice bunts, but Hicks was thrown out on a grounder to Jones.

In the ninth inning Foley's delivery was solved. Carr sent a liner toward third which Cawley only got by a phenomenal one-handed stop. Lanigan followed with a long hit into left field, which might possibly have been converted into a some run as the return throw was slow. McLaughlin's line drive into centre field allowed an easy score and ended the game. The only other chance that Harvard had to score was in the opening inning, when Lanigan reached first after Mahoney muffed his grounder. He stole second and went to third on a wild pitch, but McLaughlin and Aronson struck out in succession. In the fifth inning, Foley achieved the unusual feat of retiring the side on three balls pitched, Babson and Young sending flies to centre field and Marshall one to the second baseman.

Dowd got a two-base hit with two out in the second inning; but it was only in the sixth and eighth innings that Holy Cross looked really dangerous. In the sixth, with one out, Mahoney got a three-base hit in to left field, but Whalen fanned and Jones was retired on a grounder to Lanigan. Dowd got another ineffectual single in the seventh. In the eighth inning, with two out, Mahoney singled over second. Aronson came in fast and made a hurried throw to second. The ball went wide, and before McLaughlin could recover it, the runner reached third, but was left there when Whalen field to Carr.

The Summary: HARVARD. a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Carr, s.s.  4  0  0  1  1  0 Lanigan, 3b.  4  1  1  0  2  0 McLaughlin, 1b.  3  0  1  8  0  0 Aronson, c.f.  3  0  0  6  0  1 Kelly, l.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 Babson, r.f.  3  0  1  0  0  0 Haydock, r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Marshall, 2b.  2  0  0  1  1  0 Young, c.  2  0  0  9  3  0 Hicks, p.  3  0  0  1  0  1 Totals,  27  1  3  27  7  2

HOLY CROSS.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Mahoney, s.s.  4  0  2  1  1  1Whalen, c.f.  4  0  0  3  0  0Jones, 2b.  4  0  0  3  2  0Burns, r.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0Schied, l.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0Dowd, 1b.  2  0  2  9  0  0Cawley, 3b.  3  0  0  0  2  0Spillane, c.  3  0  0  9  2  0Foley, p.  3  0  0  0  2  0Totals,  31  0  4  *25  9