Honorary Degrees at Commencement

Twelve honorary degrees were conferred by the University at Commencement last June. The degrees were conferred by President Lowell in the following words:

"In exercise of authority given me by the two governing boards I now create.

Honorary Masters of Arts

Robert Archey Woods, a man who labors to raise his fellow men; trusted alike by those who toil and those who think; a knight of Christ's chivalry without fear and without reproach;

John Eliot Thayer, a son who does honor to this College; a friend and counsellor to the people of his town; a lover of science who by his gifts and his knowledge has enriched the study of American birds;

Thomas Leonard Livermore, soldier, lawyer, man of affairs, and writer; who almost in boyhood fought in the Civil War; now a profound student of its history; pre-eminent among statisticians of the conflict;

Honorary Doctors of Science

Sir John Murray, one of the pioneers in the "Challenger" who searched the bed of the ocean, year by year more famous as an explorer into the depths of its silence and its mystery;

Theodore William Richards, a chemist who has weighed the atoms in his balance; an explorer to whom the elements of the universe have told their secret; a modest seer of things invisible to man;

Theobald Smith, discoverer of the cause of Texas Fever, who taught men to seek in insects the source of human plagues; he stands among the great benefactors of mankind;

Doctor of Letters

George Walter Prothero, historian and editor of a monumental history and of The Quarterly Review, who has illumined the story of the mediaeval and modern world; he brought hither the learning of the old Cambridge and carries back the affection of the new;

Doctors of Laws

Samuel Williston, brilliant master and keen teacher of the common law, who for a score of years has trained and inspired a generation of lawyers;

Richard Cockburn Maclaurin, a scholar distinguished in three continents for his knowledge of the laws of nature and of man, whom we welcome as a friend, and honor for his own talents and as president of our most celebrated school for engineers;

John Pierpont Morgan, public-spirited citizen; patron of literature and art; prince among merchants, who by his skill, his wisdom, and his courage has twice in times of stress repelled a national danger of financial panic;

Horace Porter, soldier, ambassador, and author, who since he won a medal for gallantry in war has served his country and earned her gratitude in many fields;

Charles Evans Hughes, lawyer, governor, and judge, who, beset by foes, has fought with firmness in the right as God gave him to see the right; now a guardian of our institutions in a tribunal that demands both the learning of the jurist and the wisdom of the statesman."