UNION LECTURE ON AFRICA

F. T. Colby '05 and J. T. Coolidge, 3d, '11 Will Describe Experiences.

F. T. Colby '05, F.R.G.S., and J. T. Coolidge, 3d, '11, will give a stereopticon lecture on "Hunting and Photography in East Equatorial Africa" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. The lecture will be open only to members of the Union.

Pictures will be shown illustrating the types of country through which the lecturers traveled, the different tribes of natives, and specimens of wild animals. Coolidge obtained several photographs of beasts of prey at night with a special camera which he invented for the purpose. He put a string across the animal's path and when it was touched a flashlight was set off which at the same time released the shutter on a camera, placed in an advantageous position. In this way pictures were obtained which it would have been impossible to get in the ordinary manner.

Coolidge went into British East Africa last April. He traveled on the railroad as far as Nairobi, where he arranged for an escort of natives. He then took the railway to Kizabe, where he struck out into the wilderness. After leaving Kizabe he traveled with an ox-wagon across a waterless plain, where it was impossible to go with native bearers, as far as the Wandorobo River. Coolidge spent a month in the forest country in the vicinity of the river, where he found an abundance of game. He then returned to the railway, where he was joined by Colby, who has had experience in hunting in Ceylon, India, and Alaska. As they were anxious to obtain specimens and photographs of lions, they went to Mt. Suswa. They spent a month in camp here, and were very successful. At the end of the month they separated, and Colby started on a trip around Mt. Kenia in order to have some elephant shooting. Coolidge remained in camp a month longer, and then returned home.

In the lecture this evening, Coolidge will tell the story of the trip to the time when he and Colby separated, and the latter will then outline his hunting trip around Mt. Kenia.