UNIVERSITY REGISTRATION.

It is a source of gratification to realize that the total registration of the University is 99 greater this year than last. The increase of last year's figures over those of the year before was only 24, so it may be seen that the growth of the University in 1911 is over four times as great as in 1910.

When the new admission regulations were passed last winter it was authoritatively stated that they would result in no general "letting down the bars." The fact that the Freshman class this year is 78 larger than its predecessor, however, might lead to the belief that in spite of all claims, the alternative requirements must be an easier system of admission than the old.

In relation to this subject some interesting figures have been compiled to show what proportion of those who applied for admission under the new plan were successful. They are: No. applying under new plan,  186 No. curriculum not approved,  46 No. allowed to take examinations,  140 No. rejected at examinations,  57 No. admitted,  83

It can thus be seen that of the 140 who were allowed to take the examinations only 83, or 59 per cent., were successful, and of all the 186 who applied but 44 per cent, were admitted. The proportion of men successful under the old point system is of course much greater. Another interesting fact in this connection is that several students who failed by the new plan in June were admitted by the old method in September.

The alternative plan is, we hope, responsible for a part, if not a large part, of the increase in the Freshman class. It was expected that it should be. But by no line of reasoning is it possible to deduce from the figures available the conclusion that by the new plan an easier means of access to Harvard College has been opened.