MR. C. W. FURLONG IN UNION

Writer and Explorer to Speak on "Tripoli" in Living Room Tonight.

Mr. C. W. Furlong, F.R.G.S., the well-known writer and explorer, will give an illustrated lecture on "Tripoli" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8.15 o'clock. The lecture will be open to members of the Union only.

The main object of the lecturer will be to present a clear idea of the existing situation in Tripoli in regard to the Turkish-Italian War, with its causes and effects. In addition to this fundamental topic, Mr. Furlong will give an insight into the most typical of the Barbary Capitals, the focus of the great Saharan caravan routes, with pictures illustrating the half-civilized tribes who inhabit the deserts and tablelands of Tripoli. He will also talk on the life of the Grecian sponge-divers of the Mediterranean, and will describe the dramatic incident of the burning of the United States Frigate "Philadelphia" in 1804 and his discovery of the wrecked hull off the Tripoli coast just a century later.

As a writer, Mr. Furlong has contributed many articles on North African and South American topics to magazines. In 1907 he was sent by Harper's Magazine to South America in charge of an exploring expedition which was the first scientific party to penetrate the heart of Tierra-del-Fuego. Mr. Furlong's best-known book is "The Gateway to the Sahara," which was published in 1909.