HARD SCRIMMAGE YESTERDAY

Substitutes Scored Three Touchdowns Against Second Team.--Gardner at Quarterback on First.

Yesterday saw the second day of hard work for the University football team. In the morning the practice was confined to signal drill, but in the afternoon there was nearly an hour's stiff play with the second team. Coach Haughton dispensed with the usual blackboard talk and dummy practice in the afternoon and after a very short signal drill with the whole squad, the University substitutes lined up against the second team. They played for about 20 minutes, when the University team went in and scored three touch-downs and two goals from the field in a 30-minute period.

The University squad showed up well and there was practically no ground gained through the line. As is to be expected, the backfield seems to be in exter form than the forwards, the combination of Wendell, Morrison and Frothingham being especially effective. Wendell is in his old form and his gains were the feature of the practice. He is very steady on his feet and hits the line in splendid fashion. Another feature of the backfield work was an 85-yard run of Campbell's through a broken field for a touchdown. From present indications Campbell is interchangeable with the first string backs, his speed doing much to counteract his lighter weight. Potter ran the team most of the time and his forward passes to Smith were by far the most successful of the practice. Towards the end of the period, Thomas, of the second team, caught a forward pass and ran 85 yards for the second's only score.

Seventeen men were tried out in the line and it is pretty plain that these places are still in an unsettled condition. Parmenter was tried at centre and O'Brien was given a short time at left halfback. However, the second team forwards were unable to make many holes and they often lost the ball on downs. Of all the men Fisher and Smith alone appear to be permanent in their positions. To predict the linemen for next Saturday's game is impossible at the present date.

The line-ups: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Lingard, Felton, Howard, l.e.  r.e., Eckfeldt, Proctor, Coolidge Jenckes, Starr, l.t.  r.t., Pfaelzer, Walter Blodgett, McGuire, Keays, l.g.  r.g., Driscoll, Nelson Parmenter, Jenckes, c.  c., Makepeace, Bliss; Poole Fisher, Leslie, r.g.  l.g., Meiss, Robbins Gardiner, Parmenter, r.t.  l.t., Gleason, Lawson, Saltonstall Smith, O'Brien, Lingard, r.e.  l.e., Tobey, Berenson Gardner, Potter, Freidely, q.b.  q.b., Bradley, Blake, Schwab Pierce, Campbell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Walker, Thomas Graustein, Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hanson, Gallert. Bettle, Morrison, T. H. Frothingham, Blackall, f.b.  f.b., Bryan, Callender, Hardwick