FOOTBALL WITH INDIANS AT 2

Entire Substitute Line-Up Will Start Game for University Team.

Harvard-Carlisle games have always been spectacular and today's game in the Stadium at 2 o'clock promises to be no less interesting than past performances. The Carlisle Indians are out this year to carry away a victory, and the University team which will line up against them has been prepared to meet a swift and versatile game with a sure defence.

Perhaps the first surprise of the game has already been realized in the line-up which has been announced for the University team. The substitutes will start and in all probability will play the entire game. It has been the intention of the coaches to use this match to bring the substitutes up to the scratch; and, in fact, Coach Haughton told the squad early in October that the substitute eleven would be played against Carlisle. The practice of the last week has, therefore, been devoted to finishing off the playing of the second string men. In yesterday's practice the time was spent in a signal drill to brush up the formations and plays. The line-up, though composed of substitutes, is far from weak, for the average weight of both line and backfield is fully up to that of the regular team. The only difference evident is that the line will be a little slower.

The Carlisle team has been trained by Coach Warner to play a shifting game and to meet a varied attack. The team has been somewhat weakened by the loss of Captain Burd, who is out of the game for the season; and by an injury to Thorpe, the star left halfback, who has been unable to punt for the last few weeks. The latter's punts averaged nearly 60 yards, so that it can easily be seen what his injury has cost the team. But allowing for these losses the Carlisle line-up will be one of the strongest and best balanced of any that she has had in years. The line averages in weight over 175 pounds and the backfield 169 pounds. Such weight, combined with an average height of 5 feet 11 inches in the line and 5 feet 10 in the backfield, makes a rangy, dangerous team. The offensive formations which the Indians will use will probably be surprising in many ways and should include forward passes and trick plays galore.

Carlisle's record for the season is an enviable one. The team has been scored on but once and that by Georgetown which tied the Army in a scoreless game and whom the Indians defeated by an overwhelming score. The defeat of Pennsylvania last Saturday gave much confidence to the team, for this was the team which Brown beat only 6 to 0. But even with all this to her credit, Carlisle must take into account a fast, fighting team which Harvard has developed this year; a team which men who played on the Law School star eleven agreed to have more determination and fight than has been shown by University teams in several years.

Carlisle has played in Cambridge twelve times and has won but once, when in 1907 it carried off a 23 to 15 victory. The scores have usually been large for hard games and often the Indians have scored on tricks even when clearly outplayed.

The line-ups:HARVARD.  CARLISLE.Howard, l.e.  r.e., WheelockStow, l.t.  r.t., Lone StarKeays, l.g.  r.g., BuschParmenter, c.  c., BergieMcGuire, r.g.  l.g., JordanJenckes, r.t.  l.t., NewasheHollister, r.e.  l.e., RobertsFreedley, q.b.  q.b., WelshReynolds, l.h.b.  r.h.b., ArcasaMorrison, r.h.b.  l.h.b., ThorpeBlackall, f.b.  f.b., Powel