RESULT OF SCULLING RACES

L. S. Chanler '14 and G. F. Newton '12 Won Blake Cup, and C. W. Peabody '12 Won Herrick Cup.

The fall rowing season was concluded yesterday afternoon by the single and double scull races in the Basin. The double scull race, which was held over a three-quarter mile course for the cup offered by R. P. Blake '94, was won by L. S. Chanler '14 and G. F. Newton '12, stroke and 7 on the University crew. A. Strong '12 and L. H. Mills '14, 6 and 5 on the University crew were second, and H. Eager '12 and E. D. Morgan, Jr., '13, stroke and 7 on the second crew were third. The single scull race, held over a half-mile course for the cup offered by R. F. Herrick '90, was won by C. W. Peabody '12 with R. S. Parker '12, who won the Carroll cup race two years ago, second. E. K. Carver '14 and S. Wentworth '14 rowed a dead heat for third.

Both races were rowed down-stream starting from a point near the Cottage Farm Bridge. The double sculls finished at Harvard Bridge and the single sculls a little above that point. Over the first half of the course the water was fairly smooth, but after the men left the shelter of the shore there was a quartering wind and sea which bothered them considerably. The University eight and stern six men of the second eight competed in the double scull race, pairing off according to their positions, while six members of the third eight and the bow two of the second eight rowed in the single scull race.

In the double sculls race Chanler and Newton, after overcoming a slight lead of Eager and Morgan's at the start, were never headed. They finished about three lengths ahead of Strong and Mills, who were a couple of lengths ahead of the third pair. The last four boats were very closely bunched at the finish.

The single sculls produced two very good races, one between Peabody and Parker, and the other between Carver and Wentworth. Although Peabody beat Parker by about two lengths, the latter came up from behind rapidly in the last stretch. Wentworth and Carver rowed absolutely even for the last third of a mile, and finished so close together that it was impossible to judge between them.