PRESIDENT ELIOT'S TRIP

Sails for Cherbourg Tomorrow,--Will Study Public Opinion Upon international Peace.

President Charles William Eliot '53 will leave New York tomorrow morning for an eight months trip in the East. President Eliot has been invited by the executive committee of the Carnegie Peace Foundation, of which he is a trustee, to travel through the Asiatic countries for the purpose of studying public opinion with regard to international peace. Although Dr. Eliot will speak considerably on matters of educational interest, he regards this trip as an exploration to discover how the vast resources of the Peace Foundation may be used to the best advantage.

The Harvard Club of New York City will hold a reception in President Eliot's honor this afternoon, and at 10 o'clock tomorrow the President and his party will sail for Cherbourg on the "Kron Prinz Wilhelm." Dr. Eliot will proceed directly to Genoa where he will take a North German Lloyd steamer for Ceylon, arriving at Colombo early in December. The next six weeks will be spent in India; the party will leave Calcutta in January for Singapore. From Singapore Dr. Eliot will take a side trip to Java and then sail for Hong Kong where he will spend a week before going to Manila. After a short trip through the Philippine Islands the party will return to China and late in April will leave for Japan. Dr. Eliot will visit the Hawaiian Islands on his return trip, reaching New York July 12.

President Eliot will be accompanied by Mrs. Eliot, Miss Ruth Eliot, and his secretary, Mr. Roger Pierce '04.