AMES LAW COMPETITION

Twenty-two Clubs Contesting in Trials for Prizes Offered by Mrs. James Barr Ames.

The progress of the Ames Competition, the first round of which ended last week is attracting much interest in the Law School. Two prizes have been established by Mrs. James Barr Ames at the request of her husband, the late Dean Ames; one of $200 to be awarded to the winning law club, and another of $100 to be awarded to the club losing in the final round.

There are 22 clubs entered in the competition, but only the second-year men in the clubs are allowed to compete. The competition takes the form of an elimination tournament and consists of a series of trials of moot cases, an agreed statement of facts being framed by the Board of Student Advisers. At each argument the clubs are represented of any one club can argue more than once until at least six men in that club have argued, except in the final round, where no restriction is made. There are three judges at each trial, either third-year men, or lawyers from Boston, asked to serve in this capacity.