EXTRA VACATION FOR SOUTHERNERS AND WESTERNERS.

Hidden away in the formal official announcement of the Christmas vacation that appears to be but the repetition of similar announcements of years past, there is a real and significant change of policy. Until this year students who live in the far South and West have been allowed to leave Cambridge a day or two before the vacation began so that they might reach their homes at approximately the same time as those who live near Cambridge, but no similar arrangement was made at the other end of the holiday. Some men have had to leave home on New Year's day and not a few on December 31 in order to register at the required time. The CRIMSON has more than once pointed out that this was a very strong grievance in the eyes of Western and Southern men, and has urged that they be granted a vacation as long as is given to Easterners. It is exactly this change that has been made this year. By petitioning the Recorder a student who lives a long distance away from Cambridge can now secure an extension at both ends of the vacation. The extra time allowed at the beginning is just the same as it always has been, while the extension at the end will make it possible for every Harvard man no matter where he lives, to spend all of New Year's Day at home. The justice of the change can not fail to appeal to all who understand the conditions.