CHAMBER MUSIC EXPOSITION

Mr. Arthur Whiting to Give Second Concert of Second Series Tomorrow evening.

Mr. Arthur Whiting will give the first concert of a second series of expositions of chamber music in the New Lecture Hall this evening at 8.15 o'clock instead of at 8 o'clock as formerly announced. It will be open only to officers and students of the University and no admission fee will be charged. A program of Italian, German, and English music of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries will be presented by Mr. Whiting, at the harpsichord, assisted by Miss Constance Edson (Violin), Mr. George Barrere (flute), and Mr. Paul Kefer (viola da Gamba), as follows:

(Flute and Violin)

CORELLI.--Suite, A major.

(Viola da Gamba)

BACH.--Sonata, D major.

(Violin)

BACH.--Sonata, E minor.

(Harpsichord)

BACH.--Polonaise, Gavotte, Sarabande.

(Flute)

HANDEL.--Sonata, B minor.

(Flute, Violin, Viola da Gamba, and Harpsichord)

PURCELL.--Golden Sonata.

On account of the enthusiastic interest shown in these expositions by the students, they are given, as formerly, in the New Lecture Hall, by reason of its greater seating capacity and its excellent acoustic properties. This is the first year of a second four years' course of classical and modern chamber music, which has been arranged by a number of persons, chiefly Harvard alumni, interested in musical education, who feel that American universities do not afford sufficient opportunities for developing the musical taste of those of their members who are not especially devoted to musical studies. In order, therefore, to encourage an intelligent appreciation of music among young men who have a normal sense of its beauty, they have united on the following proposals:

1. That a uniform series of five monthly expositions of classical and modern chamber music be given in Eastern universities and colleges in the academic year 1911-12 by Mr. Arthur whiting, who will be assisted in some of the performances by suitable artists.

2. That heads of music departments, or other representative of colleges, in which these expositions are given, shall act as an advisory committee with Mr. Whiting.

3. That a sum of money be contributed by individuals for the necessary expenses; subscriptions being for the general fund or for single colleges as designated.

The treasurer is Charles D. Brewster '79, 26 Liberty street, New York City. The succeeding concerts of the series will be given in the New Lecture Hall at 8.15 o'clock on the following Thursday evenings: December 7 January 11, February 15, and March 14.