HOCKEY TEAM'S WORK TO DATE

FOOTBALL MEN TO REPORT MONDAY. YESTERDAY'S PRACTICE. CUT IN SQUAD.

Preliminary practice for the University hockey squad ended last evening, and with the football men reporting for work on Monday Coach Winsor will begin in earnest the development of a first team. It is generally conceded that with the exception of goal for which position S. B. Smart and H. B. Gardner will probably have a close fight, the defence will be made up from the football men. Unless Captain Huntington is moved up from his last year's place, however, positions in the forward line will be filled mainly from among those men who are already out. Of these Duncan, Sortwell, Palmer, Reeves, and Yarnall have made the best showing. The great difficulty is that either Duncan, Palmer or Sortwell, all three of whom have shown themselves particularly valuable men, will have to be shifted to a position to which they are unaccustomed in order that all may play. Sortwell has put up a noticeably better game at centre than at end, this fall, and Duncan has played centre on the team two years, so that Palmer will probably be the man to change. What he can do at end remains to be seen. E. P. Pierce, Jr., will undoubtedly make a strong bid for a position when he comes out. P. H. Smart and Wingate have played better games than any of the other point and coverpoint men so far, and one of them will probably be used as a substitute throughout the year.

Yesterday's Practice.

Practice yesterday consisted of almost an hour's hard scrimmaging between the first and second teams, in which the second team scored five goals to the first's four. The forward line on the first team, although it worked well together, did not display as much speed as in the recent scrimmages with the B. A. A. and shot poorly during the first part of the scrimmage, while the second team line showed more life than at any previous time this season. Goals for the second team were scored by Adams, Morgan, Gorham, Locke, and Whidden; and for the first team by Duncan, two, Palmer and Wingate.

The line-ups were as follows: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Baldwin, Childs, Palmer, Gorham, l.e.  r.e., Morgan, Devereux, Whidden Palmer, Duncan, l.c.  r.c., Hanson, Gorham, Locke Sortwell, r.c. l.c., Adams, Duncan, Paine Reeves, r.e.  l.e., Yarnall, Saltonstall Wingate, c.p.  c.p., Booth P. H. Smart, p.  p., Rushmore, Paine S. B. Smart, g.  g., Carnochan, Browne

Cut in Squad.

As a result of the past month's preliminary practice the following men have been retained and together with the football men will compose the squad which starts regular practice Monday: S. Adams '14, H. N. Baldwin '13, G. M. Carnochan '14, J. S. Childs '12, R. F. Duncan '12, T. Gorham '13, D. R. Hanson '14, P. K. Houston '12, H. C. Morgan '14, F. H. Palmer '13, H. E. Reeves '12, P. H. Smart '14, S. B. Smart '12, A. F. Sortwell '14, R. A. Whidden '13, D. J. P. Wingate '14, A. C. Yarnall '12.

Coach Winsor announced last evening that all men playing in the scrub series this winter would be carefully watched, and that any showing promise would be given a try-out on the University squad. The scrub series will be played immediately after the Christmas Recess on one of the two rinks to be constructed in the Stadium when the ground freezes. The other rink will be for the use of the Freshmen and they will be called out as soon as it is ready.

The University hockey schedule has not been given out yet, but it will contain a best two out of three game series with Yale, two games with Princeton and one with Cornell

Cut in Squad.