YALE DEFEATED IN HOCKEY

3 to 2 in Hard, Rough Game.--University Team Second in League.

The University hockey team finished its season on Saturday evening by defeating Yale at the St. Nicholas Rink in New York by the close score of 3 to 2. This victory, together with Cornell's win over Dartmouth, places Harvard in second place in the league standing, 200 points behind Cornell and 400 ahead of Yale and Columbia, which teams are tied for third place. Dartmouth and Princeton each lost four games and are tied for the bottom position.

The game on Saturday was rough from start to finish, and until almost the middle of the second half with the score 2 to 0 against Harvard, it looked as though the hard body-checking of the heavier Yale, players would prove too much for the light University offence.

In the first half the small size of the rink, to which Yale was well accustomed, had a noticeable effect on the Harvard seven, and there was very little attempt at team-play. The Yale forwards, on the other hand, showed unexpected speed and always broke up the passes of their lighter opponents. Consequently the Harvard forwards tried individual work which met with no success against the concerted defence of Swenson and Brooks.

Two minutes after the second half began, Cox carried the puck well into Harvard territory and shot from an angle. Chadwick failed to see it, and it entered the cage high at the left side. At this score the Harvard team seemed to realize the situation and took a decided brace. The play concerted about the Yale goal and there were many fierce scrimmages. The defence played well up the ice and kept the puck in Yale territory nearly all the time. A minute and a half of this kind of play resulted in the first score for Harvard, when Leslie carried the puck into the left corner and passed out. It glanced off Carhartt's skate and went into the net. Six minutes later, after continual fighting about the Yale cage, Duncan got a snap shot which tied the score.

Here Yale made desperate efforts to keep the puck in Harvard's territory, Loutrel making several excellent long shots which Chadwick handled skillfully. But at this point the speed of the Harvard defence was utilized to the best advantage. Both Foster and Huntington made brilliant rushes up the ice and often gave the puck to the forwards for close tries at the cage. Two goals were made in this way, but were not counted because of off-side play. Excitement was at the highest pitch when, with only a minute and a half to play, Hornblower jumped the puck past Loutrel and started for the Yale goal. He swung far to the right of Swenson and made a clever pass to Duncan who was alone in front of the Yale cage. It was an easy matter to scoop the puck past Carhartt for the winning score.

The summary follows: HARVARD.  YALE. Leslie, l.e.  r.e., Harmon Duncan, l.c.  r.c., Cox Hornblower, Huntington, r.e.  l.e., Loutrel Seamans, Hornblower, r.e.  l.e., Merritt Huntington, Foster, c.p.  c.p., Swenson

Foster, Blackall, p.  p., BrooksChadwick, g.  g., Carhart