Lecture on "The Moral Crisis"

The second of a series of lectures under the William Belden Noble Foundation, on "Civilization at the Cross-Roads" was given by Rev. J. N. Figgis last night. The subject of the lecture was "The Moral Crisis."

The greatest moral problem that the western world has to face at the present time is materialism and commercialism, and it is because of the over-valuation that men place on worldly goods that the progress of the world is so slow. The world of the Middle Ages was anything but ideal, being full of greed, cruelty, and lust, but the world of today is above all else, symbolical of materialism.

This materialism enters into every phase of our modern life, into our educational scheme, into relations between capital and labor, even into our religion. It is the practical ideal which is the choice of the vast majority of those who have the power to choose, and religion is tolerated in so far as it contributes to worldly wealth. The value of a civilization is to be tested by the culture that it prompts, but of true culture this age is almost guiltless, the mad race for wealth leaving no room for it. Until the soul of man gets wearied of its millions we must not expect much improvement.

We must recognize that we are a part of the general system and that we cannot get away from it. The first need of the day is to shake men out of their complacency, and to show them the facts of the world in which they live. The one hopeful cry of our age is that for life. And it is hopeful because the Christian religion makes an appeal for a larger, fuller, and more abundant life.