PROFESSOR PALMER HONORED

Prtrait by C. Hopkinson '91 Presented to University at Banquet.

At a recent banquet held in the Trophy Room of the Union, an oil portrait of Professor George Herbert Palmer '64 was presented to the University. Last June when Professor Palmer had been a teacher at Harvard for 40 years, a committee of 27 of his former pupils of which Professor C. M. Backewell, of Yale, was chairman, decided to have the portrait painted as a tribute to him and a token of their deep appreciation of his work. The portrait, which was painted by Mr. Charles Hopkinson '91, is now in the Trophy Room. It will be put on exhibition in the Union soon and will eventually be hung in the Faculty Room.

The banquet at which the picture was presented was attended by over 40 of Professor Palmer's friends and close associates--members of the University Faculty and men who were formerly his students. Professor R. B. Perry '97, of the department of Philosophy, presided. Address were delivered by President Eliot. Professor Josiah Royce, Professor E. K. Rand '94, Dr. Denman Ross '75, Professor George P. Basker '87, President Hyde of Bowdoin, President Lowell, and Professor Palmer.