NEW REQUIREMENTS IN LATIN

Slight Alteration Tending Toward More General Preparation for Admission.

In pursuance of the policy recently adopted by the Faculty with the view of making entrance requirements dependent on general work in any subject rather than on fulfilling narrowly specified requirements, the following description of Latin examinations is announced:

The examination will be adapted to the proficiency of those who have studied Latin in a systematic course of five lessons a week, extending through at least three years. It will also test the attainment of those who have pursued the subject four years or more. The passages set for translation must be rendered into simple and idiomatic English.

The examination paper will include passages of Latin prose and verse of varying degrees of difficulty to be translated at sight, passages from Cicero's orations for the Manilian law and for Archias, and from Virgil's Aeneid, I, II, IV, or I, II, VI, with questions on the subject-matter, literary and historical allusions, and, in the case of Virgil, on prosody, and passages for Elementary and Advanced Latin Composition. Questions on forms, syntax, and the idioms of the language may be asked in connection with any part of the examination.

I. A candidate who offers Latin under the "new" plan of admission will select at least one passage of Latin to be translated at sight, a passage from the Cicero or the Virgil named above, one of the English passages to be translated into Latin, and such other parts of the paper as will best exhibit his knowledge of Latin.

II. A candidate who offers both Elementary and Advanced Latin at one time, under the "old" plan of admission, will select a sight passage of Latin verse, an advanced sight passage of Latin prose, the prescribed Cicero or Virgil, and the more advanced passage of English to be translated into Latin.

III. As heretofore, a candidate under the "old" plan of admission may divide the examination into Elementary and Advanced Latin.

(a) A candidate who offers Ele- mentary Latin will select from the examination paper a sight passage of Latin prose, either the prescribed Cicero or the prescribed Virgil, and the Elementary Latin Composition.

(b) A candidate who offers Advanced Latin will select a sight passage of Latin verse, an advanced sight passage of Latin prose, the prescribed Virgil or Cicero, and the more advanced passage of English to be translated into Latin.

A candidate who presents under the "old" plan of admission Elementary and Advanced Latin at separate examinations will be required to take the prescribed Virgil on the final examination if he took the prescribed Cicero on the elementary examination, and vice versa